Dr. Gillick's research is dedicated to investigating cortical plasticity and recovery from neurologic insult in both adult and pediatric populations. Her research encompasses the use of non-invasive brain stimulation, in combination with behavioral training, for improved motor function. Current grants support investigation of the use of non-invasive brain stimulation with and without the combination of constraint-induced therapy in children with stroke and resultant hemiparesis. Neuroimaging and neuronavigation allows advanced understanding of the reorganization and structure of the brain which survived the stroke, and the influence of interventions on neurorecovery.
- Rich TL, Nemanich S, Chen M, Friel K, Feyma T, Krach L, Nawshin T, Meekins G, Gillick BT. Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) paired with occupation-centered bimanual training in children with unilateral cerebral palsy: A preliminary study. Neural Plast. 2018 Nov 5;2018:9610812.
- Rich TL, Menk JS, Rudser KD, Feyma T, Gillick BT. Less-affected hand function in children with hemiparetic unilateral cerebral palsy: A comparison study with typically developing peers. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2017;31(10-11):965-976.
- Chen CY, McGee CW, Rich TL, Prudente CN, Gillick BT. Reference values of intrinsic muscle strength of the hand of adolescents and young adults. J Hand Ther. 2017 Aug 12. pii: S0894-1130(17)30016-9.
- Rich TL, Menk JS, Rudser KD, Chen M, Meekins GD, Peña E, Feyma T, Bawroski K, Bush C, Gillick BT. Determining electrode placement for transcranial direct current stimulation: A comparison of EEG- versus TMS-guided methods. Clin EEG Neurosci. 2017;48(6):367-375.
- Chen CY, Georgieff M, Elison J, Chen M, Stinear J, Mueller B, Rao R, Rudser K, Gillick B. Understanding brain reorganization in infants with perinatal stroke through neuroexcitability and neuroimaging. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2017 Apr;29(2):173-178.
- Chen CY, Rich TL, Cassidy JM, Gillick BT. Corticospinal excitability in children with congenital hemiparesis. Brain Sci. 2016 Oct 20;6(4). pii: E49.
- Rich TL, Menk J, Krach LE, Feyma T, Gillick BT. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation/behavioral intervention clinical trial: Long-term follow-up of outcomes in congenital hemiparesis. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2016;26(7):598-605.