Dr. Pravetoni’s lab mainly focuses on development of vaccines and monoclonal antibodies for the treatment and prevention of heroin and prescription opioids abuse and fatal overdose. Other areas of interest are development of biologics against antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections, immunobiology of B and T cell lymphocytes underlying effective antibody responses, and novel strategies to improve vaccine efficacy against challenging unmet medical needs. Our multidisciplinary research program integrates rational vaccine design, monoclonal antibodies, immunomodulators, formulation/delivery platforms, pharmacology and pharmacokinetic pre-clinical models of disease, analysis of the vaccine-specific B and T cell repertoire, GLP/GMP studies to support FDA approval and clinical evaluation of new biologics, and industry collaborations.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Lefevre EM, Pisansky MT, Toddes C, Baruffaldi F, Pravetoni M, Tian L, Kono TJY, Rothwell PE. Interruption of continuous opioid exposure exacerbates drug-evoked adaptations in the mesolimbic dopamine system. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020 Feb 20. doi: 10.1038/s41386-020-0643-x.
- Mavrikaki M, Pravetoni M, Page S, Potter D, Chartoff E. Oxycodone self-administration in male and female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2017;234(6):977-987
- Raleigh MD, Peterson SJ, Laudenbach M, Baruffaldi F, Carroll FI, Comer SD, Navarro HA, Langston TL, Runyon SP, Winston S, Pravetoni M, Pentel PR. Safety and efficacy of an oxycodone vaccine: addressing some of the unique considerations posed by opioid abuse. PLoS One. 2017;12(12):e0184876.
- Pravetoni M. Biologics to treat substance use disorders: current status and new directions. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2016;12(12):3005-3019.
- Laudenbach M, Baruffaldi F, Vervacke JS, Distefano MD, Titcombe PJ, Mueller DL, Tubo NJ, Griffith TS, Pravetoni M. The frequency of naïve and early-activated hapten-specific B cell subsets dictates the efficacy of a therapeutic vaccine against prescription opioid abuse. J Immunol. 2015;194(12):5926-36.
- Laudenbach M, Tucker AM, Runyon SP, Carroll FI, Pravetoni M. The frequency of early-activated hapten-specific B cell subsets predicts the efficacy of vaccines for nicotine dependence. Vaccine. 2015;33(46):6332-9.
- Taylor JJ, Laudenbach M, Tucker AM, Jenkins MK, Pravetoni M. Hapten-specific naïve B cells are biomarkers of vaccine efficacy against drugs of abuse. J Immunol Methods. 2014;405:74-86.