Member of MSTP (MD/PhD) program
UNDERGRAD INSTITUTION AND MAJOR:
Wellesley College, BA, Neuroscience, 2012
Alfonso Araque, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
DESCRIPTION OF GRADUATE RESEARCH
My project aims to investigate the role of astrocytes in cocaine addiction. Traditionally, astrocytes have been viewed as passive players in brain function; however, astrocytes actively regulate synaptic transmission and plasticity. My project examines the effects of cocaine on astrocyte-neuron interactions in the nucleus accumbens, a primary brain region implicated in addiction.
- Drug Abuse & Addiction
- Synaptic Plasticity & Learning
GRADUATE LEVEL AWARDS AND HONORS
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Life Members
Mentorship Grant for Medical Students, 2015.
- American Psychiatric Association Minority Medical Student Scholarship: Annual Meeting, 2015.
- National Institute of Mental Health MD/PhD student conference travel award, 2014.
- Alessandro Bartolomucci, Ph.D., Department of Integrative Biology & Physiology
- Angus MacDonald III, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Alice Larson, Ph.D., Departments of Veterinary Pathobiology, Pharmacology and Neuroscience
- Alfonso Araque, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
OTHER COMMITTEE INVOLVEMENT
- MSTP (MD/PhD) Student Admissions Committee, 01/15-Present
- MSTP (MD/PhD) Retreat Planning Committee, 08/12-08/15
- MSTP (MD/PhD) Volunteer Committee, 08/14-08/15
- MSTP (MD/PhD) Newsletter Committee, 08/14-08/15
- Psychiatry Student Interest Group, Chair, 08/13-05/14
- MSTP (MD/PhD) Student Advisory Committee 06/12-06/13
- St Paul Public Library Reading Tutor, 08/14-05/15
- University of MN Student National Medical Association Pre-med mentor, 08/13-05/14
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE MN?
I was confident that Minnesota would provide the best training for my ultimate career goal of becoming a successful, independent physician-scientist.
STUDENT MENTOR AND THE BEST ADVICE THEY GAVE.
Anja Srienc: All of Anja's advice was helpful!