In 1997, Dr. Iaizzo and his coworkers began working on large mammalian isolated heart models, and thus the Visible Heart® laboratory was created in collaboration with Medtronic, Inc. Various CARDIAC-RELATED RESEARCH includes: cardiac physiology, large mammalian comparative cardiac anatomy, cardiac devices/testing/design, electrophysiology/surface/noncontact mapping, pharmacological approaches to cardioprotection, chronic ischemia and/or heart failure models, and opioid preconditioning in human left ventricular trabeculae.
Additional research interests include SKELETAL MUSCLE (anesthetic complications in muscular disorders, stimulated muscle force measurement in neuromuscular diseases, prevention of hypoxic damage using opioid agonists); HIBERNATING BLACK BEARS (hibernation induction triggers, cardiac function and wound healing during hibernation); ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY(intracellular recording and patch clamp techniques, surface or transmural electromyography, action potential mapping); THERMOREGULATION (mechanism of shiver, thermal management of surgical patients, cerebral protection using mild hypothermia, wound formation/treatment/healing, malignant hyperthermia); and SPINAL BIOMECHANICS (cervical spinal unloading, functional rotation and movement of the spine).
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Seewald M, Coles JA Jr, Sigg DC, Iaizzo PA. Pharmacological postconditioning with delta opioid attenuates myocardial reperfusion injury in isolated porcine hearts. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2017;242:986-995.
- Omdahl P, Eggen MD, Bonner MD, Wika K, Iaizzo PA. Right ventricular anatomy can accommodate multiple transcatheter pacemakers. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2016;39:393-397.
- Ginz HF, Iaizzo PA: Isometric skeletal muscle force measurement in primary myopathies. Muscle Nerve. 2016;53:913-7.
- Benscoter MA, Avitall B, Iaizzo PA: Visualization of an innovative approach for mitral isthmus ablation. World J Cardiol. 2015;7:754-64
- Quallich SG, Kriege KE, Iaizzo, PA: The effects of radiofrequency or cryothermal ablation on biomechanical properties of isolated human or swine cardiac tissues. IEEE J Transl Eng Health Med. 2015;4:1900105.
- Ditmer MA, Vincent JB, Werden LK, Tanner JC, Laske TG, Iaizzo PA, Garshelis DL, Fieberg JR. Bears show a physiological but limited behavioral response to unmanned aerial vehicles. Curr Biol. 2015;25:2278-83.
- Goff RP, Spencer JH, Iaizzo PA. MRI Reconstructions of human phrenic nerve anatomy and computational modeling of cryoballoon ablative therapy. Ann Biomed Eng. 2016;44:1097-1106.
- Spencer JH, Goff RP, Iaizzo PA. Left phrenic nerve anatomy relative to the coronary venous system: Implications for phrenic nerve stimulation during cardiac resynchronization therapy. Clin Anat. 2015;28:621-6.
- Howard SA, Quallich SG, Benscoter MA, Holmgren BC, Rolfes CD, Iaizzo PA. Tissue properties of the fossa ovalis as they relate to transseptal punctures: a translational approach. J Interv Cardiol. 2015;28:98-108.
- Quallich SG, Van Heel M, Iaizzo PA. Optimal contact forces to minimize cardiac perforations before, during, and/or after radiofrequency or cryothermal ablations. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:291-6.
- Eggen MD, Bonner MD, Williams ER, Iaizzo PA. Multimodal imaging of a transcatheter pacemaker implantation within a reanimated human heart. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:2331-2.
- Goff RP, Bersie SM, Iaizzo PA. In vitro assessment of induced phrenic nerve cryothermal injury. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:1779-84.
- Spencer JH, Sundaram CC, Iaizzo PA. The relative anatomy of the coronary arterial and venous systems: implications for coronary interventions. Clin Anat. 2014;27:1023-9.
- Spencer JH, Prahl G, Iaizzo PA. The prevalence of coronary sinus and left circumflex artery overlap in relation to the mitral valve. J Interv Cardiol. 2014;27:308-16.
- Spencer JH, Larson AA, Drake R, Iaizzo PA. A detailed assessment of the human coronary venous system using contrast computed tomography of perfusion-fixed specimens. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:282-8.
- Howard SA, Quill JL, Eggen MD, Swingen CM, Iaizzo PA. Novel imaging of atrial septal defects in isolated human hearts. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2013;6:218-20.
- Spencer JH, Anderson SE, Iaizzo PA. Human coronary venous anatomy: implications for interventions. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2013;6:208-17.
- Howard SA, Bateman MG, Hill AJ, Anderson RH, Iaizzo PA. In vitro images of a double orifice mitral valve in a reanimated human heart. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;95:1456.
- Bateman MG, Iaizzo PA. Imaging in the context of replacement heart valve development: use of the Visible Heart® methodologies. Cardiovasc Diagn Ther. 2012;2:220-30.
- Liu C, Eggen MD, Swingen CM, Iaizzo PA, He B. Noninvasive mapping of transmural potentials during activation in swine hearts from body surface electrocardiograms. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2012;31:1777-85.
- Richardson ES, Rolfes C, Woo OS, Elmquist WF, Benditt DG, Iaizzo PA. Cardiac responses to the intrapericardial delivery of metoprolol: targeted delivery compared to intravenous administration. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2012;5:535-40.
- Shrivastav M, Ghai MB, Singal A, Iaizzo PA. The design and use of an optical mapping system for the study of intracardiac electrical signaling. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2012;12:138-51.
- Eggen MD, Swingen CM, Iaizzo PA. Ex vivo diffusion tensor MRI of human hearts: relative effects of specimen decomposition. Magn Reson Med. 2012;67:1703-9.
- Bandschapp O, Soule CL, Iaizzo PA. Lactic acid restores skeletal muscle force in an in vitro fatigue model: are voltage-gated chloride channels involved? Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;302:C1019-25.
- Iaizzo PA, Laske TG, Harlow HJ, McClay CB, Garshelis DL. Wound healing during hibernation by black bears (Ursus americanus) in the wild: elicitation of reduced scar formation. Integr Zool. 2012;7(1):48-60.
- Eggum JH, Howard SA, Goff RP, Iaizzo PA. Imaging of a coronary artery stent implantation within an isolated human heart. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2012;5(1):73-4.
- Cressman EN, Shenoi MM, Edelman TL, Geeslin MG, Hennings LJ, Zhang Y, Iaizzo PA, Bischof JC. In vivo comparison of simultaneous versus sequential injection technique for thermochemical ablation in a porcine model. Int J Hyperthermia. 2012;28(2):105-12.
- Cressman EN, Geeslin MG, Shenoi MM, Hennings LJ, Zhang Y, Iaizzo PA, Bischof JC. Concentration and volume effects in thermochemical ablation in vivo: results in a porcine model. Int J Hyperthermia. 2012;28(2):113-21.