Research in our group is centered on investigating the neural basis of human vision, visual attention, and visual awareness. Current research projects include the spatial and temporal properties of the early visual cortex, the effect of attentional modulation at different cortical sites, the nature and dynamics of binocular rivalry, pattern and motion adaptation processes. Both psychophysical and functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging methods are used in these studies.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Tan Y, Tong X, Chen W, Weng X, He S, Zhao J. Vernier But Not Grating Acuity Contributes to an Early Stage of Visual Word Processing. Neurosci Bull. 2018 Mar 28;. PMID: 29589216
- Wang Y, Wang L, Xu Q, Liu D, Chen L, Troje NF, He S, Jiang Y. Heritable aspects of biological motion perception and its covariation with autistic traits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Feb 20;115(8):1937-1942. PMID: 29358377
- Katyal S, Vergeer M, He S, He B, Engel SA. Conflict-sensitive neurons gate interocular suppression in human visual cortex. Sci Rep. 2018 Jan 19;8(1):1239. PMID: 29352155
- Shao H, Weng X, He S. Functional organization of the face-sensitive areas in human occipital-temporal cortex. Neuroimage. 2017;157:129-143.
- Bai J, Dong X, He S, Bao M. Monocular deprivation of Fourier phase information boosts the deprived eye's dominance during interocular competition but not interocular phase combination. Neuroscience. 2017;352:122-130.
- Roy AV, Jamison KW, He S, Engel SA, He B. Deactivation in the posterior mid-cingulate cortex reflects perceptual transitions during binocular rivalry: Evidence from simultaneous EEG-fMRI. Neuroimage. 2017;152:1-11.
- Fan X, Wang L, Shao H, Kersten D, He S. Temporally flexible feedback signal to foveal cortex for peripheral object recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113(41):11627-11632.
- Zou J, He S, Zhang P. Binocular rivalry from invisible patterns. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113(30):8408-13.
- Zhang P, Zhou H, Wen W, He S. Layer-specific response properties of the human lateral geniculate nucleus and superior colliculus. Neuroimage. 2015 Feb 19;111:159-166.
- Jamison KW, Roy AV, He S, Engel SA, He B. SSVEP Signatures of Binocular Rivalry During Simultaneous EEG and fMRI. J Neurosci Methods. 2015 Jan 30;.
- Zhou W, Yang X, Chen K, Cai P, He S, Jiang Y. Chemosensory communication of gender through two human steroids in a sexually dimorphic manner. Curr Biol. 2014;24(10):1091-5.
- Shannon RW, Patrick CJ, Venables NC, He S. 'Faceness' and affectivity: evidence for genetic contributions to distinct components of electrocortical response to human faces. Neuroimage. 2013;83:609-15.
- Zhang P, Jamison K, Engel S, He B, He S. Binocular rivalry requires visual attention. Neuron. 2011;71:362-9.
- Vizueta N, Patrick CJ, Jiang Y, Thomas KM, He S. Dispositional fear, negative affectivity, and neuroimaging response to visually suppressed emotional faces. Neuroimage. 2012 Jan 2;59(1):761-71.
- Shannon RW, Patrick CJ, Jiang Y, Bernat E, He S. Genes contribute to the switching dynamics of bistable perception. J Vis. 2011;11(3). pii: 8. doi: 10.1167/11.3.8. .
Former Graduate Students:
Vadim Petruk (Ph.D. 2016, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Robert Shannon (Ph.D. 2012, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Patricia Costello (Ph.D. 2003, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).