To prevent, classify and treat brain injury ranging from concussion to coma. The core work in my lab focuses on the development of objective markers of injury that can be used to assess whether preventative measures (such as neck strengthening in young athletes) are working to reduce concussion; to differentiate pathophysiology so that treatments can be targeted appropriately; and to characterize injury so that decisions dependent on functional recovery can be objective.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Bin Zahid A, Hubbard ME, Dammavalam VM, Balser DY, Pierre G, Kim A, Kolecki R, Mehmood T, Wall SP, Frangos SG, Huang PP, Tupper DE, Barr W, Samadani U. Assessment of acute head injury in an emergency department population using sport concussion assessment tool - 3rd edition. Appl Neuropsychol Adult. 2016 Nov 17:1-10.
- Samadani U, Hubbard M. Diagnosing traumatic encephalopathy syndrome. JAMA Neurol. 2016;73(11):1373-1374.
- Sone JY, Kondziolka D, Huang JH, Samadani U. Helmet efficacy against concussion and traumatic brain injury: a review. J Neurosurg. 2016;126:1-14.
- Bin Zahid A, Mikheev A, Srivatsa N, Babb J, Samadani U, Rusinek H. Accelerated brain atrophy on serial computed tomography: Potential marker of the progression of Alzheimer disease. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2016;40(5):827-32.
- Samadani U. Physicians and youth tackle football. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(21):2097-8.
- Samadani U. A new tool for monitoring brain function: eye tracking goes beyond assessing attention to measuring central nervous system physiology. Neural Regen Res. 2015;10:1231-3.
- Renfrow JJ, Rodriguez A, Liu A, Pilitsis JG, Samadani U, Ganju A, Germano IM, Benzil DL, Wolfe SQ. Positive trends in neurosurgery enrollment and attrition: analysis of the 2000-2009 female neurosurgery resident cohort. J Neurosurg. 2016;124(3):834-9.
- Balser D, Farooq S, Mehmood T, Reyes M, Samadani U. Actual and projected incidence rates for chronic subdural hematomas in United States Veterans Administration and civilian populations. J Neurosurg. 2015;123(5):1209-15
- Samadani U, Ritlop R, Reyes M, Nehrbass E, Li M, Lamm E, Schneider J, Shimunov D, Sava M, Kolecki R, Burris P, Altomare L, Mehmood T, Smith T, Huang JH, McStay C, Todd SR, Qian M, Kondziolka D, Wall S, Huang P. Eye tracking detects disconjugate eye movements associated with structural traumatic brain injury and concussion. J Neurotrauma. 2015;32(8):548-56.
- Samadani U, Farooq S, Ritlop R, Warren F, Reyes M, Lamm E, Alex A, Nehrbass E, Kolecki R, Jureller M, Schneider J, Chen A, Shi C, Mendhiratta N, Huang JH, Qian M, Kwak R, Mikheev A, Rusinek H, George A, Fergus R, Kondziolka D, Huang PP, Smith RT. Detection of third and sixth cranial nerve palsies with a novel method for eye tracking while watching a short film clip. J Neurosurg. 2015;122(3):707-20.