Characterization of itch-related behavior and physiology of trigeminothalamic tract neurons in rats, including the role of opioids
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
B.A., Biology: Neuroscience & Persons, 2008, Northwestern College, IA
Our lab studies the transmission of itch and pain information within the central nervous system. I have been characterizing itch responses in thalamic-projecting neurons in the spinal trigeminal subnucleus caudalis of rats. Currently, I am examining the roles of opioid receptors in mediating responses to itch in the trigeminal system. I am also performing parallel experiments to determine effects of opioid drugs on scratching behavior in rats.
- Jonathan Gewirtz
- Mark Thomas
- Glenn Giesler
Courses Taken Beyond the Core Courses:
- EEB 5332 - Evolution & Animal Cognition
- NSC 8217 - Systems & Computational Neuroscience
- NSC 5202 - Theoretical Neuroscience
- NSC 8221 - Neurobiology of Pain & Analgesia
Graduate Level Minor:
- Supporting Program
- Moser HR, Giesler GJ Jr. Itch elicited by intradermal injection of serotonin, intracisternal injection of morphine, and their synergistic interactions in rats. Neuroscience. 2014 Aug 22;274:119-27.
- Moser HR, Giesler GJ. Characterization of pruriceptive trigeminothalamic tract neurons in rats. J Neurophysiol. 2014 Jan 29;.
- Moser HR, Giesler GJ. (2013) Itch and analgesia resulting from intrathecal application of morphine: contrasting effects on different populations of trigeminothalamic tract neurons. Journal of Neuroscience 33: 6093-6101.
- Davidson S, Moser HR, Giesler GJ. (2013) Ascending pathways for itch. In: Itch: Mechanisms and Treatment (Carstens E, Akiyama T, ed.) Taylor & Francis Group, LLC (In press).
- Davidson S, Zhang X, Khasabov SG, Moser HR, Honda CN, Simone DA, Giesler GJ Jr (2012). Pruriceptive spinothalamic tract neurons: Physiological properties and projection targets in the primate. J Neurophysiol 108(6):1711-23. PMCID: PMC3544948
- McKee BL, Kelley AE, Moser HR, Andrzejewski ME. Operant learning requires NMDA-receptor activation in the anterior cingulate cortex and dorsomedial striatum, but not in the orbitofrontal cortex. Behavioral Neuroscience, 2010 124: 500-509.
- Nieuwenhuis JJ, Larson JD, De Jong TS, Moser HR, Davis RE (2012). Tribendimidine: An anthelmintic with cholinergic activity in the parasitic nematode, Ascaris suum. (In revision).
- Society for Neuroscience - 2009, 2011
- International Workshop for the Study of Itch - 2011
- Chris Honda - Chair
- Don Simone
- Martin Wessendorf
- George Wilcox
- Glenn Giesler - Advisor
Awards and Honors:
- Morris Smithberg Memorial Prize - 2010
- GPN/Milne-Brandenburg Award - 2011
- Poppele Prize - 2011
- Stark Award - 2011
- Hermann Handwerker Prize for young itch researchers - 2011
- Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA - 2011
- Humboldt, Iowa