Neural basis of context processing dysfunction in schizophrenia: A monkey model
Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program, Brown University
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
B.S. Neuroscience, May 2004, Lafayette College, Easton, PA
Department of Psychiatry, Brown University, Rhode Island
My research project involves the development of a non-human primate model for studying the physiological impact of abnormal synaptic transmission in schizophrenia using a cellular approach.
- James Ashe
- Michael Georgieff
- Matthew Chafee
Courses Taken Beyond the Core Courses:
- Medical school courses
- BMEN 2401-Biomedical Programming
Graduate Level Minor:
Conferences Attended and Presentations:
- Society for Neuroscience, 2008, 2011
- MD/PhD Student Conference-Summer 2012
- Schizophrenia International Research Society Conference-Spring 2012
- Society for Neuroscience-Fall 2011
- American Society for Clinical Investigation/Association of American Physicians Joint Meeting-Spring 2009
- Timothy Ebner-Chair
- Matthew Chafee
- Angus MacDonald III
- Chad Marsolek
Publications and Presentations:
- Zick JL, Blackman RK, Crowe DA, Amirikian B, DeNicola AL, Netoff TI, Chafee MV. Blocking NMDAR disrupts spike timing and decouples monkey prefrontal circuits: implications for activity-dependent disconnection in Schizophrenia. Neuron. 2018 May 26. pii: S0896-6273(18)30382-9.
- Blackman RK, Crowe DA, DeNicola AL, Sakellaridi S, MacDonald AW III, Chafee MV. Monkey prefrontal neurons reflect logical operations for cognitive control in a variant of the AX continuous performance task (AX-CPT). J Neurosci. 2016;36:4067-79
- Crowe DA, Goodwin SJ, Blackman RK, Sakellaridi S, Sponheim SR, MacDonald AW III, Chafee MV. Neural signals reflecting the executive control of cognition are selectively transmitted from prefrontal to posterior parietal neurons. Nature Neuroscience. 2013;16:1484-1491.
- Blackman RK, MacDonald AW III, Chafee MV. Effects of ketamine on context processing performance in monkeys – A new animal model of cognitive deficits in schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology 2013;38:2090-2100.
- Abbs B, Achalia RM, Adelufosi AO, Aktener AY, Beveridge NJ, Bhakta SG, Blackman RK, et al. The 3rd Schizophrenia International Research Society Conference, 14-18 April 2012, Florence, Italy: Summaries of oral sessions. Schizophrenia Research. 2012;141:e1-e24.
- Goodwin SJ, Blackman RK, Sakellaridi S, Chafee MV. Executive control over cognition: Stronger and earlier rule-based modulation of spatial category signals in prefrontal cortex relative to parietal cortex. J Neurosci. 2012;32(10): 499-3515.
- Harty TP, Dib-Hajj SD, Tyrell L, Blackman R, Hisama FM, Rose JB, Waxman S. Na(V)1.7 mutant A863P in erythromelalgia: effects of altered activation and steady-state inactivation on excitability of nociceptive DRG neurons. J Neurosci. 2006;26:12566-12575.
- Oral Presentations: Graduate Program in Neuroscience Retreat-Spring 2012
- Center for Cognitive Sciences Spring Research Day-Spring 2010
Awards and Honors:
- Center for Cognitive Sciences trainee, 2008-2009, 2009-2010
- Wilfred Wetzel Graduate Fellowship 2010
- American Physician Scientists Association 2009 Annual Meeting Travel Award
- Schizophrenia International Research Society Conference Travel Award 2012
- American Association for the Advancement of Science American Holistic Medical Association
- American Physician Scientists Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- Society for Neuroscience
- Sigma Xi
- Warwick, RI