Specific Amyloid-β oligomers in human cerebrospinal fluid
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology, Epilepsy, Pediatric Neurology and Developmental Neuroscience, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine
Pediatric Epilepsy Fellow, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine
Pediatric Neurology Resident, Baylor College of Medicine
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
B.A., Biochemistry, 2005
College of St. Benedict/St. John's University, Collegeville, MN
- Grant MKO, Handoko M, Rozga M, Brinkmalm G, Portelius E, Blennow K, Ashe KH, Zahs KR, Liu P. Human cerebrospinal fluid 6E10-immunoreactive protein species contai amyloid precursor protein fragments. PLoS One. 2019;feb28;14(2):e0212815.
- Handoko M, Grant M, Kuskowski M, Zahs KR, Wallin A, Blennow K, Ashe KH. Correlation of specific amyloid-β oligomers with tau in cerebrospinal fluid from cognitively normal older adults. JAMA Neurol. 2013;70(5):594-599.
Conferences Attended and Presentations:
- Society for Neuroscience, 2007
- International Conference on Alzheimer's Disease (ICAD), 2008, 2010, 2011
- Drug Discovery for Neurodegeneration Conference - Spring 2008
- Alzheimer's Association International Society to Advance Alzheimer Research and Treatment (ISTAART)
In the Ashe lab we are studying Alzheimer's Disease (AD), particularly the pathobiology of disease in relation to Amyloid-beta and tau proteins, which make up the pathological hallmark of AD, namely amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles, respectively.
Recently, the field has focused on soluble oligomeric forms of Amyloid beta as possible toxic species that induce cognitive impairment and may trigger downstream neurodegenerative processes. My project is to determine whether these distinct Abeta oligomeric species can be found in Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of living individuals and determine their predictive value for future cognitive decline in cognitively intact individuals.
- Walter Low
- John Ohlfest
- Steve McLoon
- Karen Ashe
Courses Taken Beyond the Core Courses:
- Medical school courses
Graduate Level Minor:
- Walter Low-Chair
- Karen Ashe-Advisor
- H. Brent Clark
- Sylvain Lesne
- Jakarta, Indonesia