An analysis of sex differences, opioids and nociception in a TMEV mouse model of Multiple Sclerosis
Associate Scientific Director, Janssen Pharmaceutical of Johnson and Johnson
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
Cornell College, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Alvin Beitz, Ph.D.
- Moses K. Njenga, Ph.D. / MD
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is one of the most common neurological diseases of young adults in Europe and North America. Worldwide, approximately 2.5 million people are affected by this chronic inflammatory, demyelinating disease of the CNS. Symptoms of multiple sclerosis include sensory disturbances, trunk and limb paresthesias, limb weakness and gait ataxia. Intracranial inoculation of Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus (TMEV) into susceptible strains of mice produces a biphasic disease in which the chronic phase models human multiple sclerosis. My research focuses on three main areas: (1) gender differences in disease progression, (2) pain in multiple sclerosis and (3) interactions between chemokine and opiate receptors and how they affect the progression of the disease.
- Bill Engeland
- Alice Larson
- M.K. Njenga
- Alvin Beitz
Courses Taken Beyond the Core Courses:
- MVB 8201 - Mechanisms of Animal Health and Disease
- NSC 8026 - Neuro-immune interactions
- NSC 8222 - Central Regulation of Autonomic Function
- PE 1015 - Weight Training
- PUBH 5414 - Biostatistical Methods I
- WOST 3202 - Biology of Women
- GRAD 8101 - Teaching in higher education
- MICA 8001 - Integrated topics
- PHCL 8208 - Neuropsychopharmacology
- MICA 8003 - Immunity and Immunopathology
- PHCL 8207 - Seminar - Psychopharmacology
- Ali AK, Banks WA, Kumar VB, Shah GN, Lynch JL, Farr SA, Fleegal-DeMotta MA, Morley JE. Nitric oxide activity and isoenzyme expression in the senescence-accelerated mouse p8 model of Alzheimer’s disease: effects of anti-amyloid antibody and antisense treatments. J Geront Ser A. 2009;64:1025-30.
- Jaeger LB, Dohgu S, Hwang MC, Farr SA, Murphy MP, Fleegal-DeMotta MA, Lynch JL, Robinson SM, Niehoff ML, Johnson SN, Kumar VB, Banks WA. Testing the neurovascular hypothesis of Alzheimer’s disease: LRP-1 antisense reduces blood-brain barrier clearance, increases brain levels of amyloid-beta protein, and impairs cognition. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;17:553-7.
- Jaeger LB1, Dohgu S, Sultana R, Lynch JL, Owen JB, Erickson MA, Shah GN, Price TO, Fleegal-Demotta MA, Butterfield DA, Banks WA. Lipopolysaccharide alters the blood-brain barrier transport of amyloid beta protein: a mechanism for inflammation in the progression of Alzheimer's disease. Brain Behavior and Immunity. 2009;23(4) 507-17
- Elinav E, Niv-Spector L, Katz M, Price TO, Ali M, Yacobovitz M, Solomon G, Reicher S, Lynch JL, Halpern Z, Banks WA, Gertler A. Pegylated leptin antagonist is a potent orexigenic agent: preparation and mechanism of activity. Endocrinology. 2009;150(7):3083-91
- Salkini MA, Lynch JL, Otamis-Price T, Banks WA. Lipopolysaccharide impairs blood-brain barrier P-glycoprotein function in mice through prostaglandin- and nitric oxide-independent pathways. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2009;4(2):276-282.
- Lynch JL, Alley JF, Wellman L, Beitz AJ.. Decreased opiate receptor expression and opiate analgesia in the TMEV mouse model of multiple cclerosis. Brain Res. 2008;1191:180-191.
- Banks WA, Dohgu S, Lynch JL, Fleegal-DeMotta MA, Erickson MA, Nakaoke R, Vo TQ. Nitric Oxide isoenzymes regulate lipopolysaccharide-enhanced insulin transport across the blood-braid barrier. Endocrinology. 2008 Apr; 149(4):1514-23.
- Lynch JL, Gallus NJ, Ericson ME, Beitz AJ. Analysis of nociception, sex and peripheral nerve innervation in the TMEV animal model of multiple sclerosis. Pain. 2008;136(3):293-304.
- Lynch JL, Banks WA. Vairable Effects of ccute and chronic morphine treatment and withdrawal on blood-to-brain transport of I1-2, IL-1α and TFN α. Brain Behav Immun. 2008;22(7):1096-102.
Conferences Attended and Presentations:
- Society for Neuroscience annual meeting - Fall 2001, 2003, 2004 (presented posters 2003 and 2004 listed under presentations)
- Society on Neuroimmune Pharmacology - spring 2004 did not present
- David Brown - Chair
- Philip Peterson
- Mike Murtaugh
- Alvin Beitz - Advisor
- M. K. Njenga - Advisor
Awards and Honors:
- Lin Graduate Student Fellowship, 2004
- PharmacoNeuroImmunology Training Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2003-present
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society, Cornell College 1998-2001
- Motor Board, Cornell College 2000-2001
- Biochemistry Molecular Biology Outstanding Senior, Cornell College, 2000-2001
- Deans List, Cornell College , fall 1998-2000, spring 1998 -2001
- Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Academic All-Conference, softball 2000
- National Fast pitch Coaches Association All-American Scholar Athlete, 2000
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society on Neuroimmune Pharmacology
- Walla Walla, Washington
- High School - DeSales Catholic