Structural Plasticity of the Mesolimbic System Associated With Female Sexual Reward
Assistant Teaching Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies Neuroscience and Behavior, University of Notre Dame
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
Western Michigan University , BS, Biomedical Science, 2001
My research interests focus on the neurobiology of naturally motivated behavior and how repeated rewarding behaviors can sensitize the mesolimbic dopamine system in a manner analogous to that of drugs of abuse.
- Dezhi Liao
- Jonathan Gewirtz
- David Redish
- Robert Meisel
Conferences Attended and Presentations:
- Society for Neuroscience annual meeting - Fall 2008, 2009
- Society for Behavioral Neuroendocrinology - Summer 2009, 2010
- Paul Mermelstein - Chair
- Robert Meisel - Advisor
- Kirill Martemyanov
- Mark Thomas
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Been LE, Staffend NA, Tucker A, Meisel RL. Vesicular glutamate transporter 2 and tyrosine hydroxylase are not co-localized in Syrian hamster nucleus accumbens afferents. Neurosci Lett. 2013 Aug 29;550:41-5.
- Staffend NA, Meisel RL. Female Sexual Experience Results in Persistent Structural Adaptations Isolated to Dopamine D1 Medium Spiny Neurons of the Nucleus Accumbens Core. Manuscript under review.
- Staffend NA, Meisel RL. Persistent Plasticity within the Nucleus Accumbens Core Following Repeated Aggressive Behavior. Neuroscience. (2012) In press.
- Staffend NA, Meisel RL. DiOlistic Labeling in Fixed Brain Slices: Phenotype, Morphology, and Dendritic Spines. Cur Prot Neurosci. (2011) Apr;Chapter 2:Unit2.13.
- Staffend NA, Meisel RL. DiOlistic labeling of neurons in tissue slices: a qualitative and quantitative analysis of methodological variations. Frontiers in Neuroanatomy (2011) 5:1-10.
- Staffend NA, Loftus CM, Meisel RL. Estradiol Mediated Plasticity of Dendritic Spines in the Ventral Striatum of the Female Syrian Hamster. Brain Structure and Function (2011) 215:187-194. Epub 2010 Oct 16.
- Hedges VL, Staffend NA, Meisel RL. Neural mechanisms of reproduction in females as a predisposing factor for drug addiction. Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology (2010) 31:217–231. Epub 2010 Feb 19. Review.
- Ryan KA, Weldon A, Huby NM, Persad C, Bhaumik AK, Heidebrink JL, Barbas N, Staffend NA, Franti L, Girodani B. Caregiver support service needs for patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. (2010) Apr-Jun;24(2):171-6.
- Eisenmann KM, VanBrocklin MW, Staffend NA, Kitchen SM, and Koo HM. Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase Pathway-Dependent Tumor-Specific Survival Signaling in Melanoma Cells through Inactivation of the Proapoptotic Protein Bad Cancer Res (2003) 63: 8330-8337.
Awards and Honors:
- Milne/Brandenburg Award - NRSA submission
- Milne/Brandenburg Award - 1st author publication prior to the end of the third year
- Appointee – NIDA Training Grant: T32 DA07234 Neuroscience Training in Drug Abuse Research
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society for Behavioral Neuroendocrinology
- Livonia , MI