Our lab investigates substrate utilization and energy metabolism in the developing brain under adverse perinatal conditions. We use high-field 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopy, immunohistochemistry and molecular analysis in our investigation. Our goal is to mechanistically link cerebral metabolic changes with brain structure and function, and develop sensitive biomarkers for devising novel preventive and therapeutic strategies. Our current research focus is neuroprotection during neonatal hypoglycemia. In addition, we collaborate with the Georgieff and Tran labs in the investigation of neurodevelopment in perinatal iron deficiency and with the DasGupta lab in Cincinnati in a study of regulation of forebrain neurogenesis by energy sensor AMP kinase.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Rao R, Ennis K, Lubach GR, Lock EF, Georgieff MK, Coe CL. Metabolomic analysis of CSF indicates brain metabolic impairment precedes hematological indices of anemia in the iron-deficient infant monkey. Nutr Neurosci. 2018;21(1):40-48.
- Ennis K, Lusczek E, Rao R. Characterization of the concurrent metabolic changes in brain and plasma during insulin-induced moderate hypoglycemia using 1H NMR spectroscopy in juvenile rats. Neurosci Lett. 2017;653:370-375.
- Rao R, Ennis K, Mitchell EP, Tran PV, Gewirtz JC. Recurrent moderate hypoglycemia suppresses brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in the prefrontal cortex and impairs sensorimotor gating in the posthypoglycemic period in young rats. Dev Neurosci. 2016;38(1):74-82
- Scheurer JM, Gray HL, Demerath EW, Rao R, Ramel SE. Diminished growth and lower adiposity in hyperglycemic very low birth weight neonates at 4 months corrected age. J Perinatol. 2016;36:145-50.
- Wallin DJ, Tkac I, Stucker S, Ennis KM, Sola-Visner M, Rao R, Georgieff MK. Phlebotomy-induced anemia alters hippocampal neurochemistry in neonatal mice. Pediatr Res. 2015;77(6):765-71.
- Maliszewski-Hall AM, Alexander M, Ivan Tkáč I, Öz G, Rao R. Differential effects of intrauterine growth restriction on the regional neurochemical profile of the developing rat brain. Neurochem Res. 2017;42(1):133-140.
- Rao R Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis programming after recurrent hypoglycemia during development. J Clin Med. 2015;4(9):1729-40.
- Gisslen T, Varda B, Ennis K, Rao R. Recurrent hyperglycemia is associated with oxidative stress and microglial activation in the cerebral cortex of developing rats. Pediatr Res. 2015;78(5):513-9.
- Bora R, Akhtar S, Venkatasubramaniam, Wolfson J, Rao R. Effect of long umbilical cord milking on hemoglobin and serum ferritin at six months in full-term infants of anemic and non-anemic mothers. J Perinatol. 2015;35(10):832-6.
- Chouthai NS, Sobczek H, Khan R, Subramanian D, Raman S, Rao R. Hyperglycemia is associated with poor outcome in newborn infants undergoing therapeutic hypothermia for hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. J Neonatal Perinatal Med. 2015;8(2):125-31.
- Maliszewski-Hall A, Stein A, Alexander M, Rao R. Acute hypoglycemia results in reduced cortical neuronal injury in the developing IUGR rat. Pediatr Res. 2015;78(1):7-13.
- Wallin DJ, Tkac I, Stucker S, Ennis K, Rao R, Georgieff MK. Phlebotomy-induced anemia alters hippocampal neurochemistry in neonatal mice. Pediatr Res 2015;77:765-71.
- Ennis K, Dotterman H, Stein A, Rao R. Hyperglycemia accentuates and ketonemia attenuates hypoglycemia-induced neuronal injury in the developing rat brain. Pediatr Res. 2015;77:84-90.
- Rao AR, Quach H, Smith E, Vatassery GT, Rao R. Changes in ascorbate, glutathione and α-tocopherol concentrations in the brain regions during normal development and moderate hypoglycemia in rats. Neurosci Lett. 2014;568:67-71.
- Rao R, Tkac I, Unger EL, Ennis K, Hurst A, Schallert T, Connor J, Felt B, Georgieff MK. Iron supplementation dose for perinatal iron deficiency differentially alters the neurochemistry of the frontal cortex and hippocampus in adult rats. Pediatr Res. 2013;73(1):31-7.
- Shao J, Lou J, Rao R, Georgieff MK, Kaciroti N, Felt B, Zhao Z-Y, Lozoff B. Maternal serum ferritin concentration is positively associated with newborn iron stores in women with low ferritin status in late pregnancy. J Nutr. 2012;142:2004–2009.
- Unger EL, Hurst AR, Georgieff MK, Schallert T, Rao R, Connor J, Kaciroti N, Lozoff B, Felt B. Behavior and monoamine deficits in pre- and perinatal iron deficiency are not corrected by early postnatal moderate or high iron diet in rats. J Nutr. 2012;142(11):2040-9
- Traudt CM, Tkac I, Ennis KM, Sutton LM, Mammel DM, Rao R. Postnatal morphine administration alters hippocampal development in rats. J Neurosci Res. 2012;90(1):307-14.
- Schmidt AT, Alvarez GC, Grove WM, Rao R, Georgieff MK. Early iron deficiency enhances stimulus-response learning of adult rats in the context of competing spatial information. Develop Cogn Neurosci 2012;2:174-180.
- Gisslen T, Nathan B, Thompson T, Rao R. Hyperinsulinism associated with gestational exposure to bupropion in a newborn infant. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2011;24(9-10):819-22.
- Ennis K, Deelchand DK, Tkac I, Henry PG, Rao R. Determination of oxidative glucose metabolism in vivo in the young rat brain using localized direct-detected ¹³C NMR spectroscopy. Neurochem Res. 2011;36:1962-8.
- Rao R, Tkac I, Schmidt AT, Georgieff MK. Fetal and neonatal iron deficiency causes volume loss and alters the neurochemical profile of the adult rat hippocampus. Nutr Neurosci. 2011;14(2):59-65.
- Lehmann AE, Ennis K, Georgieff MK, Rao R, Tran PV. Evidence for a hyporesponsive limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis following early-life repetitive hypoglycemia in adult male rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2011;301(2):R484-90.