Clinical and Research Interests
Dr. Fatemi is the Associate Chair for Neuroscience and Translational Research for the Department of Psychiatry; the Bernstein Endowed Chair in Adult Psychiatry; Professor of Psychiatry, Neuroscience and Pharmacology, at the University of Minnesota Medical School. Dr. Fatemi’s research interests include the molecular causes and the biological basis of neurodevelopmental disorders, primarily schizophrenia and autism. His clinical interests include treatment and psychopharmacology of major depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia. He has over 15 years experience in the treatment of psychiatric disorders. Dr. Fatemi is a member of the American College of Psychiatrists, a Fellow the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, and the International College of Neuropsychopharmacology, and a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Fatemi SH, Wong DF, Brašić JR, Kuwabara H, Mathur A, Folsom TD, Jacob S, Realmuto GM, Pardo JV, Lee S. Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 tracer [18F]-FPEB displays increased binding potential in postcentral gyrus and cerebellum of male individuals with autism: a pilot PET study. Cerebellum Ataxias. 2018 Feb 12;5:3.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Thuras PD. Altered subcellular localization of fragile X mental retardation signaling partners and targets in superior frontal cortex of individuals with schizophrenia. Neuroreport. 2017;28:1066-1070.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Thuras PD. GABAA and GABAB receptor dysregulation in superior frontal cortex of subjects with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Synapse. 2017;71(7). doi: 10.1002/syn.21973.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Liesch SB, Kneeland RE, Karkhane Yousefi M, Thuras PD. The effects of prenatal H1N1 infection at E16 on FMRP, glutamate, GABA, and reelin signaling systems in developing murine cerebellum. J Neurosci Res. 2017;95(5):1110-1122.
- Frye RE, Casanova MF, Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Reutiman TJ, Brown GL, Edelson SM, Slattery JC, Adams JB. Neuropathological mechanisms of seizures in autism spectrum disorder. Front Neurosci. 2016 May 10;10:192.
- Folsom TD, Thuras PD, Fatemi SH. Protein expression of targets of the FMRP regulon is altered in brains of subjects with schizophrenia and mood disorders. Schizophr Res. 2015;165:201-211.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD. GABA receptor subunit distribution and FMRP-mGluR5 signaling abnormalities in the cerebellum of subjects with schizophrenia, mood disorders, and autism. SSchizophr Res. 2015;167:42-56..
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD. Existence of monomer and dimer forms of mGluR5, under reducing conditions in studies of postmortem brain in various psychiatric disorders. Schizophr Res. 2014;158:270-271.
- Fatemi SH, Reutiman TJ, Folsom TD, Rustan OG, Rooney RJ, Thuras PD. Downregulation of GABAA receptor protein subunits α6, β2, δ, ε, γ2, θ, and ρ2 in superior frontal cortex of subjects with autism. J Autism Dev Disord. 2014;44:1833-1845.
- Frye RE, Rossignol D, Casanova MF, Brown GL, Martin V, Edelson S, Coben R, Lewine J, Slattery JC, Lau C, Hardy P, Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Macfabe D, Adams JB. A review of traditional and novel treatments for seizures in autism spectrum disorder: findings from a systematic review and expert panel. Front Public Health. 2013 Sep 13;1:31.
- Rustan OG, Folsom TD, Yousefi MK, Fatemi SH. Phosphorylated fragile X mental retardation protein at serine 499, is reduced in cerebellar vermis and superior frontal cortex of subjects with autism: implications for fragile X mental retardation protein-metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 signaling. Mol Autism. 2013 Nov 1;4(1):41.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Rooney RJ, Thuras PD. Expression of GABAA α2-, β1- and ε-receptors are altered significantly in the lateral cerebellum of subjects with schizophrenia, major depression and bipolar disorder. Transl Psychiatry. 2013 Sep 10;3:e303.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Kneeland RE, Yousefi MK, Liesch SB, Thuras PD. Impairment of fragile X mental retardation protein-metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 signaling and its downstream cognates ras-related C3 botulinum toxin substrate 1, amyloid beta A4 precursor protein, striatal-enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase, and homer 1, in autism: a postmortem study in cerebellar vermis and superior frontal cortex. Mol Autism. 2013 Jun 26;4(1):21.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Rooney RJ, Thuras PD. mRNA and protein expression for novel GABAA receptors θ and ρ2 are altered in schizophrenia and mood disorders; relevance to FMRP-mGluR5 signaling pathway. Transl Psychiatry. 2013 Jun 18;3:e271.
- Kneeland RE, Fatemi SH. Viral infection, inflammation and schizophrenia. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2013;42:35-48.
- Folsom TD, Fatemi SH. The involvement of reelin in neurodevelopmental disorders. Neuropharmacology. 2013;68:122-135
- Fatemi SH, Aldinger KA, Ashwood P, Bauman ML, Blaha CD, Blatt GJ, Chauhan A, Chauhan V, Dager SR, Dickson PE, Estes AM, Goldowitz D, Heck DH, Kemper TL, King BH, Martin LA, Millen KJ, Mittleman G, Mosconi MW, Persico AM, Sweeney JA, Webb SJ, Welsh JP. Consensus Paper: Pathological Role of the Cerebellum of Autism. Cerebellum, 2012;11:777-807.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Reutiman TJ, Novak J, Engel RH. Comparative gene expression study of the chronic exposure to clozapine and haloperidol in rat frontal cortex. Schizophr Res. 2012;134(2-3):211-218.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Kneeland RE, Liesch SB. Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 upregulation in children with autism is associated with underexpression of both Fragile X mental retardation protein and GABAA receptor beta 3 in adults with autism. Anat Rec. 2011 Oct;294:1635-1645.
- Blatt GJ, Fatemi SH. Alterations in GABAergic biomarkers in the autism brain: research findings and clinical implications. Anat Rec. 2011;294:1646-1652.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD. Dysregulation of fragile × mental retardation protein and metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 in superior frontal cortex of individuals with autism: a postmortem brain study. Mol Autism. 2011 May 6;2:6.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD. The role of fragile X mental retardation protein in major mental disorders. Neuropharmacology. 2011;60(7-8):1221-6.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Thuras PD. Deficits in GABA(B) receptor system in schizophrenia and mood disorders: a postmortem study. Schizophr Res. 2011;128(1-3):37-43.
- Fatemi SH, Folsom TD, Rooney RJ, Mori S, Kornfield TE et al. The viral theory of schizophrenia revisited: Abnormal placental gene expression and structural changes with lack of evidence for H1N1 viral presence in placentae of infected mice or brains of exposed offspring. NNeuropharmacology. 2012;62(3):1290-1298.
- Karkhane-Yousefi M, Folsom TD, Fatemi SH. A review of vareniclines’s efficacy and tolerability in smoking cessation studies in subjects with schizophrenia. J Addict Res Ther. 2011;S4(1). pii: 3045.
- Fatemi SH. Invited commentary: Reelin as a stress resilience factor in depression & psychosis. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2011;36: 2371-2372.