Research in our laboratory seeks to understand vision and cognition by combining measurements of behavior with neural measurements made using functional MRI. A main topic currently under investigation is visual plasticity?how cortex can change with experience. Within this domain we are examining effects of altered environments, perceptual training, and visual expertise.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Olman CA, Bao P, Engel SA, Grant AN, Purington C, Qiu C, Schallmo MP, Tjan BS. Hemifield columns co-opt ocular dominance column structure in human achiasma. Neuroimage. 2018;164:59-66.
- Reavis EA, Lee J, Wynn JK, Narr KL, Njau SN, Engel SA, Green MF. Linking optic radiation volume to visual perception in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Schizophr Res. 2017;190:102-106.
- Bao M, Dong B, Liu L, Engel SA, Jiang Y. The best of both worlds: Adaptation during natural tasks produces long-lasting plasticity in perceptual ocular dominance. Psychol Sci. 2017 Nov 1:956797617728126.
- Reavis EA, Lee J, Wynn JK, Engel SA, Cohen MS, Nuechterlein KH, Glahn DC, Altshuler LL, Green MF. Assessing neural tuning for object perception in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder with multivariate pattern analysis of fMRI data. Neuroimage Clin. 2017;16:491-497.
- Roy AV, Jamison KW, He S, Engel SA, He B. Deactivation in the posterior mid-cingulate cortex reflects perceptual transitions during binocular rivalry: Evidence from simultaneous EEG-fMRI. Neuroimage. 2017;152:1-11.
- Reavis EA, Lee J, Wynn JK, Engel SA, Jimenez AM, Green MF. Cortical thickness of functionally defined visual areas in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Cereb Cortex. 2017;27:2984-2993.
- Engel SA, Wilkins AJ, Mand S, Helwig NE, Allen PM. Habitual wearers of colored lenses adapt more rapidly to the color changes the lenses produce. Vision Res. 2016;125:41-48
- McGonigle C, van der Linde I, Pardhan S, Engel SA, Mallen EA, Allen PM. Myopes experience greater contrast adaptation during reading. Vision Res. 2016;121:1-9.
- Jamison KW, Roy AV, He S, Engel SA, He B. SSVEP signatures of binocular rivalry during simultaneous EEG and fMRI. J Neurosci Methods. 2015;243:53-62.
- Haak KV, Fast E, Bao M, Lee M, Engel SA. Four days of visual contrast deprivation reveals limits of neuronal adaptation. Curr Biol. 2014;24:2575-2579.
- Thompson SK, Engel SA, Olman CA. Larger neural responses produce BOLD signals that begin earlier in time. Front Neurosci. 2014 Jun 12;8:159.
- Qin XA, Koutstaal W, Engel SA.The hard-won benefits of familiarity in visual search: naturally familiar brand logos are found faster. Atten Percept Psychophys. 2014;76(4):914-30.
- Lee J, Cohen MS, Engel SA, Glahn D, Nuechterlein KH, Wynn JK, Green MF (2014). Neural substrates of visual masking by object substitution in schizophrenia. Hum Brain Mapp. 2014;35:4654-62.
- Dong X, Engel SA, Bao M. (2014). The time course of contrast adaptation measured with a new method: Detection of ramped contrast. Perception 2014;43:427-37.
- Engel SA, Burton PC. Confidence intervals for fMRI activation maps. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 2;8(12):e82419.
- Mesik J, Bao M, Engel SA. Spontaneous recovery of motion and face aftereffects. Vision Res. 2013;89:72-78.
- Bao M, Engel SA. Distinct mechanism for long-term contrast adaptation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:5898-5903.
- Zhang P, Jamison K, Engel S, He B, He S.Binocular rivalry requires visual attention. Neuron. 2011;71:362-369
Former Graduate Students:
Scott Warren (Ph.D. 2016, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota)