Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery
There is good evidence that transplantation of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells is beneficial in spinal cord injury. Our lab is focused on developing an autologous source of these cells to further investigate their clinical potential. Our lab is focused on translational research in spinal cord injury, in order to bring ideas from the bench to the bedside.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Lavoie NS, Truong V, Malone D, Pengo T, Patil N, Dutton JR, Parr AM. Human induced pluripotent stem cells integrate, create synapses and extend long axons after spinal cord injury. J Cell Mol Med. 2022;26(7):1932-1942.
- Huntemer-Silveira A, Patil N, Brickner MA, Parr AM. Strategies for oligodendrocyte and myelin repair in traumatic CNS injury. Front Cell Neurosci. 2021 Jan 11;14:619707.
- Wright J, Elder T, Gerges C, Reisen B, Wright C, Jella T, Shah S, Yang G, Ngwenya LB, Wang V, Parr AM; in affiliation with the Council of State Neurosurgical Societies (CSNS). A systematic review of telehealth for the delivery of emergent neurosurgical care. J Telemed Telecare. 2021 Jun;27(5):261-268.
- Patil N, Walsh P, Carrabre K, Holmberg EG, Lavoie N, Dutton JR, Parr AM. Regionally specific human pre-oligodendrocyte progenitor cells produce both oligodendrocytes and neurons after transplantation in a chronically injured spinal cord rat model after glial scar ablation. J Neurotrauma. 2021 Mar 15;38(6):777-788.
- Walsh P, Truong V, Nayak S, Saldías Montivero M, Low WC, Parr AM, Dutton JR. Accelerated differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells into neural lineages via an early intermediate ectoderm population. Stem Cells. 2020 Nov;38(11):1400-1408.
- Corley J, Kim E, Philips CA, Stippler M, Parr AM, Sweet J, Rosseau G. One hundred years of neurosurgery: contributions of American women. J Neurosurg. 2020 Feb 14:1-6.
- Joung D, Lavoie NS, Guo SZ, Park SH, Parr AM, McAlpine MC. 3D printed neural regeneration devices. Adv Funct Mater. 2020 Jan 3;30(1):10.1002.
- Crane AT, Aravalli RN, Asakura A, Grande AW, Krishna VD, Carlson DF, Cheeran MC, Danczyk G, Dutton JR, Hackett PB, Hu WS, Li L, Lu WC, Miller ZD, O'Brien TD, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Parr AM, Pearce C, Ruiz-Estevez M, Shiao M, Sipe CJ, Toman NG, Voth J, Xie H, Steer CJ, Low WC. Interspecies organogenesis for human transplantation. Cell Transplant. 2019;28:1091-1105.
- Hubbard ME, Phillips AA, Charbonneau R, Squair JW, Parr AM, Krassioukov A. PRES secondary to autonomic dysreflexia: A case series and review of the literature. J Spinal Cord Med. 2019 May 29:1-7.
- Patil N, Truong V, Holmberg MH, Stoflet ND, McCoy MR, Dutton JR, Holmberg EG, Parr AM. Safety and efficacy of rose bengal derivatives for glial scar ablation in chronic spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2018;35:1745-1754.
- Walsh P, Truong V, Hill C, Stoflet ND, Baden J, Low WC, Keirstead SA, Dutton JR, Parr AM. Defined culture conditions accelerate small-molecule-assisted neural induction for the production of neural progenitors from human-induced pluripotent stem sells. Cell Transplant. 2017;26(12):1890-1902.
- Levi AD, Okonkwo DO, Park P, Jenkins AL 3rd, Kurpad SN, Parr AM, Ganju A, Aarabi B, Kim D, Casha S, Fehlings MG, Harrop JS, Anderson KD, Gage A, Hsieh J, Huhn S, Curt A, Guzman R. Emerging safety of intramedullary transplantation of human neural stem cells in chronic cervical and thoracic spinal cord injury. Neurosurgery. 2018;82(4):562-575.
- Terzic D, Maxon JR, Krevitt L, DiBartolomeo C, Goyal T, Low WC, Dutton JR, Parr AM. Directed differentiation of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells from mouse induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell Transplant. 2016;25(2):411-24.
- Parr AM, Walsh PJ, Truong V, Dutton JR. cGMP-compliant expansion of human iPSC cultures as adherent monolayers. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1357:221-9.
- Satzer D, Miller C, Maxon J, Voth J, DiBartolomeo C, Mahoney R, Dutton JR, Low WC, Parr AM. T cell deficiency in spinal cord injury: altered locomotor recovery and whole-genome transcriptional analysis. BMC Neurosci. 2015 Nov 6;16:74.
- Parr AM. The BMJ's views on assisted dying: non-representative of its audience. BMJ. 2015 Sep 8;351:h4767.
- Satzer D, DiBartolomeo C, Ritchie MM, Storino C, Liimatainen T, Hakkarainen H, Idiyatullin D, Mangia S, Michaeli S, Parr AM, Low WC. Assessment of dysmyelination with RAFFn MRI: application to murine MPS I. PLoS One. 2015;10(2):e0116788.