Yi-Mei (Amy) Yang, PhD
Synapses are the fundamental units of neural communication in the brain. Using multidisciplinary approaches, we study how synaptic structure and function are precisely shaped during development and how their dysfunction leads to neurological disorders. By understanding the physio-pathological roles of critical synaptic proteins at the cellular, circuitry and system levels, we aim to identify novel targets and further develop pharmacological and genetic therapies for neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative diseases.
Our techniques include multi-electrode patch clamp in vitro and in vivo, two-photon imaging, optogenetics, chemogenetics, mouse behavioral analysis, and transgenic mouse models.
For a comprehensive list (use this link): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/browse/collection/56379636/?sort=date&direction=descending, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Lesperance LS, Yang YM, Wang LY. Delayed expression of activity-dependent gating switch in synaptic AMPARs at a central synapse. Mol Brain. 2020 Jan 15;13(1):6. doi: 10.1186/s13041-019-0536-2.
- Chao OY, Yang YM. Timing constraints of action potential evoked Ca2+ current and transmitter release at a central nerve terminal. Sci Rep 2019; 9: 4448.
- Fekete A, Nakamura Y, Yang YM, Herlitze S, Mark MD, DiGregorio DA, Wang LY. Underpinning heterogeneity in synaptic transmission by presynaptic ensembles of distinct morphological modules. Nat Commun 2019; 10: 826.
- Yang YM, Arsenault J, Bah A, Krzeminski M, Fekete A, Chao OY, Pacey LK, Wang A, Forman-Kay J, Hampson DR, Wang LY. Identification of a molecular locus for normalizing dysregulated GABA release from interneurons in the Fragile X brain. Mol Psychiatry 2018; doi: 10.1038/s41380-018-0240-0.
- Chao OY, Yunger R, Yang YM. Behavioral assessments of BTBR T+Itpr3tf/J mice by tests of object attention and elevated open platform: Implications for an animal model of psychiatric comorbidity in autism. Behav Brain Res. 2018 Mar 13;347:140-147.
- Yang YM, Wang LY. Ageing brains attend a symphony with asynchronous transmitter release. J Physiol. 2017;595(3):613-614.
- Yang YM, Wang W, Fedchyshyn MJ, Zhou Z, Ding JP, Wang LY. Enhancing the fidelity of neurotransmission by activity-dependent facilitation of presynaptic K+ currents. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4564-4577.
- Wang W, Luo J, Hou P, Yang YM, Xiao F, Yuchi M, Qu A, Wang LY, Ding J. Native gating behavior of ion channels in neurons with null-deviation modeling. PLoS One 2013;8:e77105.