PhD Thesis: 2023
Evaluating Retinal AII Amacrine Cell Electrical Synapse Plasticity Using Dual Whole-Cell Patch-Clamp Electrophysiology.
Undergraduate Institution and Major:
Tulane University, B.S. in Neuroscience, 2017
Eric A. Newman, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
Description of Graduate Research:
My project focuses on glial modulation of electrical synapses in the retina. Specifically I am studying whether adenosine levels and Müller cell gliotransmission modulate gap junction coupling between AII amacrine cells using electrophysiology, pharmacology, and neurobiotin tracing methods. I hypothesize that adenosine decreases gap junction coupling between AII cells, and that Müller cell release of adenosine alters gap junction coupling in the AII amacrine cell syncytium.
- Ruth Kirschstein Individual National Research Service Award F31 2020-2023
- Stark Travel Award 2019
- T32 Vision Training Grant position 2018-2020
- Stark Travel Award 2018
Graduate Program in Neuroscience Committees:
- Career Facilitation Committee, 2018-present
- Seminar Committee, 2018-present
- Brain Awareness Week Classroom visits 2018
- Market Science 2018
Economic Development Fellowship through UMN 2018
Thesis Committee Members:
Paulo Kofuji, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience (Chair)
Eric Newman, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
Marija Cvetanovic, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
Kevin Wickman, Ph.D., Department of Pharmacology
- Synaptic Plasticity and Learning
- Visual Neurosciences
Undergraduate or Post-Bac Research:
Biomarkers of colon cancer, IBD, and obesity
- Nilges M, Cable C, Arens L, Vafiades J, Zadina JE. Discrimination stimulus and low abuse liability effedts of novel endomorphin analogs suggest a potential treatment indication for opioid use disorder. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2019;Jun 18. pii: jpet.118.253013.
- Penrose HM, Cable C, Heller S, Ungerleider N, Nakhoul H, Baddoo M, Hartono AB, Lee SB, Burow ME Flemington EK, Crawford SE, Savkovic SD. Loss of forkhead box O3 facilitates inflammatory colon cancer: Transcriptome profiling of the immune landscape and novel targets. Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019;7:391-408.
- Penrose H, Heller S, Cable C, Nakhoul H, Ungerleider N, Baddoo M, Pursell ZF, Flemington EK, Crawford SE, Savkovic SD. In colonic ρ (rho0) cells reduced mitochondrial function mediates transcriptomic alterations associated with cancer. Oncoscience. 2017;4:189-198.
- Heller S, Penrose HM, Cable C, Biswas D, Nakhoul H, Baddoo M, Flemington EK, Crawford SE, Savkovic SD. Reduced mitochondrial activity in colonocytes facilitates AMPKα2-dependent inflammation. 2017;31:2013-2025
- Penrose HM, Heller S, Cable C, Nakhoul H, Baddoo M, Flemington EK, Crawford SE, Savkovic SD. High-fat diet induced leptin and Wnt expression: RNA-sequencing and pathway analysis of mouse colonic tissue and tumors. Carcinogenesis. 2017;38:302-311
- Heller S, Cable C, Penrose H, Makboul R, Biswas D, Cabe M, Crawford SE, Savkovic SD. Intestinal inflammation requires FOXO3 and prostaglandin E2-dependent lipogenesis and elevated lipid droplets. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2016;310(10):G844-854.
- Penrose H, Heller S, Cable C, Makboul R, Chadalawada G, Chen Y, Crawford SE, Savkovic SD. Epidermal growth factor receptor mediated proliferation depends on increased lipid droplet density regulated via a negative regulatory loop with FOXO3/Sirtuin6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;469(3):370-376.
What Got You Interested In Research?
I performed research as an undergraduate and studied the effects of opioids on behavior.
Why Did You Choose MN?
The people! The community here is invaluable and unmatched.