Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside
Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore
Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Maryland - Baltimore
PhD Thesis 2014
Effects of Wheel Running on Cocaine Seeking in Rats: Behavior and Neurobiology
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
University of Minnesota, B.S. & B.A., Neuroscience & Physiology, 2008
- Marilyn Carroll, Ph.D.
- Marilyn Carroll
- Mark Thomas
- Robert Meisel
Courses Taken Beyond the Core Courses:
- PSY 5012 - Learning and Cognition in Animals
- PSY 8935 - Readings in Behavioral Genetics and Individual Differences
- PUBH 6450 - Biostatistics I
- PUBH 6451 - Biostatistics II
- PHCL 8209 - Substance Abuse at the Bedside
- PHCL 8208 - Neuropsychopharmacology
- NSC 5462 - Neuroscience Principles of Drug Abuse
- NSC 8026 - Neuro-immune Interactions
- Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, 2010, 2012, 2013
- American Psychological Association Annual Meeting, 2012
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence Annual Meeting 2011, 2012, 2013
- Behavior, Biology, and Chemistry: Translational Research in Addiction, San Antonio, TX, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Robert Meisel - Chair
- Jonathan Gewirtz
- Bruce Overmier
- Marilyn Carroll - Advisor
- Swalve N, Smethells JR, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Sex differences in reinstatement of cocaine-seeking with combination treatments of progesterone and atomoxetine. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2016;145:17-23.
- Martinez LA, Gross KS, Himmler BT, Emmitt NL, Peterson BM, Zlebnik NE, Foster Olive M, Carroll ME, Meisel RL, Mermelstein PG. Estradiol facilitation of cocaine self-administration in female rats requires activation of mGluR5. eNeuro. 2016 Oct 25;3(5).
- Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Prevention of the incubation of cocaine seeking by aerobic exercise in female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015;232(19):3507-13.
- Radke AK, Zlebnik NE, Holtz NA, Carroll ME. Cocaine-induced reward enhancement measured with intracranial self-stimulation in rats bred for low versus high saccharin intake. Behav Pharmacol. 2016;27(2-3 Spec Issue):133-6.
- Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Effects of the combination of wheel running and atomoxetine on cue- and cocaine-primed reinstatement in rats selected for high or low impulsivity. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015;232(6):1049-59.
- Radke AK, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Cocaine withdrawal in rats selectively bred for low (LoS) versus high (HiS) saccharin intake. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2015;129:51-5.
- Holtz NA, Radke AK, Zlebnik NE, Harris AC, Carroll ME. Intracranial self-stimulation reward thresholds during morphine withdrawal in rats bred for high (HiS) and low (LoS) saccharin intake. Brain Res. 2015;1602:119-26.
- Regier PS, Claxton AB, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Cocaine-, caffeine-, and stress-evoked cocaine reinstatement in high vs. low impulsive rats: treatment with allopregnanolone. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014;143:58-64.
- Zlebnik NE, Saykao AT, Carroll ME. Effects of combined exercise and progesterone treatments on cocaine seeking in male and female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2014;231(18):3787-98.
- Zlebnik NE, Brimijoin S, Gao Y, Saykao AT, Parks RJ, Carroll ME. Long-term reduction of cocaine self-administration in rats treated with adenoviral vector-delivered cocaine hydrolase: evidence for enzymatic activity. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014;39(6):1538-46
- Zlebnik NE, Hedges VL, Carroll ME, Meisel RL. Chronic wheel running affects cocaine-induced c-Fos expression in brain reward areas in rats. Behav Brain Res. 2014;261:71-8.
- Carroll ME, Holtz NA, Zlebnik NE. Saccharin preference in rats: Relation to impulsivity and comorbid drug intake, in Animal Models of Eating Disorders (Ed: Avena N), 2012; Springer: London, UK.
- Carroll ME, Zlebnik NE, Anker JJ, Kosten TR, Orson FM, Shen X, Kinsey B, Parks RJ, Gao Y, Brimijoin S. Combined cocaine hydrolase gene transfer and anti-cocaine vaccine synergistically block cocaine-induced locomotion. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e43536.
- Zlebnik NE, Anker JJ, Carroll ME. Exercise to reduce the escalation of cocaine self-administration in adolescent and adult rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012;224(3):387-400.
- Holtz NA, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Differential orexin/hypocretin expression in addiction-prone and -resistant rats selectively bred for high (HiS) and low (LoS) saccharin intake. Neurosci Lett. 2012;522:12-15.
- Anker JJ, Baron TR, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Escalation of methamphetamine self-administration in adolescent and adult rats. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012;124(1-2):149-53.
- Anker JJ, Brimijoin S, Gao Y, Geng L, Zlebnik NE, Parks RJ, Carroll ME. Cocaine hydrolase encoded in viral vector blocks the reinstatement of cocaine seeking in rats for 6 months. Biol Psychiatry. 2012;71(8):700-5.
- Anker JJ, Zlebnik NE, Navin SF, Carroll ME. Responding during signaled availability and nonavailability of iv cocaine and food in rats: age and sex differences. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011;215(4):785-99.
- Anker JJ, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Differential effects of allopregnanolone on the escalation of cocaine self-administration and sucrose intake in female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010 Oct;212(3):419-29.
- Zlebnik NE, Anker JJ, Gliddon LA, Carroll ME. Reduction of extinction and reinstatement of cocaine seeking by wheel running in female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010 Mar;209(1):113-25.
- Anker JJ, Zlebnik NE, Gliddon LA, Carroll ME. Performance under a Go/No-go task in rats selected for high and low impulsivity with a delay-discounting procedure. Behav Pharmacol. 2009 Sep;20(5-6):406-14.
- Anker JJ, Holtz NA, Zlebnik N, Carroll ME. Effects of allopregnanolone on the reinstatement of cocaine-seeking behavior in male and female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;203:63-72.
Awards and Honors:
- 2014 NIDA Director's Travel Award
- F31 Ruth Kirschstein NRSA: Exercise for Treatment of Relapse: Behavior and Neurobiology, 2013
- Richard Poppele Prize for Research Independence and Excellence, 2013
- NIDA Women and Sex/Gender Junior Investigator Travel Award for CPDD 2013
- APA Annual Meeting 2012, Div. 3 Experimental Psychology Honorable Mention Poster Presentation
- 2012 Milne-Brandenburg Award for an Early Graduate Career First-Author Publication
- Behavior, Biology, and Chemistry: Translational Research in Addiction Travel Award, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Stark Award for Advanced Scholarship, 2011
- Society for Neuroscience
- American Psychological Association
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- MN Academy of Sciences
- Chisholm, MN