Andrew Grande, M.D.
Dr. Grande co-directs the Earl Grande, Vel, V. Richard Zarling Stroke, Stem Cell and Neuroimaging Laboratory at the University of Minnesota. His research interest is focused translating stem cell therapies for stroke from the "bench to the bedside." Ongoing studies include exogenous cord blood stem cell transplantation for neuroprotection, reprogramming of reactive astrocytes to form neurons, and characterization of normal adult neural stem cells found in the brains of humans and other large animals.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Mulford KL, Moen SL, Grande AW, Nixdorf DR, Van de Moortele PF. Identifying symptomatic trigeminal nerves from MRI in a cohort of trigeminal neuralgia patients using radiomics. Neuroradiology. 2022 Jan 19. doi: 10.1007/s00234-022-02900-5
- Var SR, Shetty AV, Grande AW, Low WC, Cheeran MC. Microglia and macrophages in neuroprotection, neurogenesis, and emerging therapies for stroke. Cells. 2021 Dec 16;10(12):3555.
- Larson AS, Quinn C 4th, Golzarian S, Sarkar R, Jagadeesan B, Grande AW. The foramen ovale "mirage" and how this impacts percutaneous cannulation for treatment of trigeminal neuralgia: a report of two cases. AActa Neurochir (Wien). 2021 Dec;163(12):3337-3341.
- Jagadeesan BD, Iv CQ, Masood K, Grande A, Tummala RP. Scepter-mini balloon assisted coil embolization of an intracranial arterial aneurysm in a child with PHACE syndrome via a persistent trigeminal artery. Neurointervention. 2021 Jul;16(2):175-179.
- Larson AS, Zuccarello M, Grande AW. Minimally-invasive tubular retraction ports for intracranial neurosurgery: History and future perspectives. J Clin Neurosci. 2021 Jul;89:97-102.
- Larson AS, Mehta T, Grande AW. Neurosurgical management of aneurysms of the vertebrobasilar system: increasing indications for endovascular therapy with a continued role for open microneurosurgery. Neurosurg Rev. 2021 Jan 6. doi: 10.1007/s10143-020-01460-7.
- Butterfield JT, Chen CC, Grande AW, Jagadeesan B, Tummala R, Venteicher AS. The rate of symptomatic ischemic events after passing balloon test occlusion of the major intracranial arteries: Meta-analysis. World Neurosurg. 2021 Feb;146:e1182-e1190.
- Mehta T, Desai N, Patel S, Male S, Khan A, Grande AW, Tummala RP, Jagadeesan BD. Readmission trends related to unruptured intracranial aneurysm treatment. Front Neurol. 2021 May 20;12:590751.
- Karadag A, Bozkurt B, Yagmurlu K, Ozcan AI, Moen S, Grande AW. Microsurgical management of the middle cerebral artery bifurcation aneurysms: An anatomic feasibility study. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2021;83(3):187-195.
- Larson AS, Haines SJ, Pilcher WH, Piva TE, Grande AW. From the historical examples of Drs. Osler, Cushing, and Van Wagenen: Lessons on the importance of mentorship in contemporary neurosurgery. World Neurosurg. 2020 Aug;140:251-257.
- Sude A, Nixdorf DR, Grande AW. Human papillomavirus-positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma manifesting as glossopharyngeal neuralgia. J Am Dent Assoc. 2019;150(12):1059-1061.
- Chrostek MR, Fellows EG, Guo WL, Swanson WJ, Crane AT, Cheeran MC, Low WC, Grande AW. Efficacy of cell-based therapies for traumatic brain injuries. Brain Sci. 2019 Oct 10;9(10):270.
- Elnashar A, Patel SK, Kurbanov A, Zvereva K, Keller JT, Grande AW. Comprehensive anatomy of the foramen ovale critical to percutaneous stereotactic radiofrequency rhizotomy: cadaveric study of dry skulls. J Neurosurg. 2019;132(5):1414-1422.
- Vasquez CA, Moen SL, Juliano MJ, Jagadeesan BD, Pluhar GE, Chen CC, Grande AW. Development of a novel canine model of ischemic stroke: Skull base approach with transient middle cerebral artery occlusion. World Neurosurg. 2019 Jul;127:e251-e260.
- Hocum Stone LL, Xiao F, Rotschafer J, Nan Z, Juliano M, Sanberg CD, Sanberg PR, Kuzmin-Nichols N, Grande A, Cheeran MC, Low WC. Amelioration of ischemic brain injury in rats with human umbilical cord blood stem cells: Mechanisms of action. Cell Transplantation 2016;25(8):1473-1488.