Biogenic Amines and the Orchestration of Locomotor Behavior in the Medicinal Leech
Associate Professor and Neuroscience Program Director, Department of Biology, St. Olaf College
Karen Mesce, Ph.D.
- Harley CM, Reilly MG, Stewart C, Schlegel C, Morley E, Puhl JG, Nagel C, Crisp KM, Mesce KA. Compensatory plasticity restores locomotion after chronic removal of descending projections. J Neurophysiol. 2015;113(10):3610-22
- Crisp KM, Gallagher BR, Mesce KA. Mechanisms contributing to the dopamine induction of crawl-like bursting in leech motoneurons. J Exp Biol. 2012 Sep 1;215(Pt 17):3028-36.
- Ferguson JE, Boldt C, Puhl JG, Stigen T, Jackson JC, Crisp KM, Mesce KA, Netoff T, Redish AD. Nanowires precisely grown on the ends of microwire electrodes permit the recording of intracellular action potentials within deeper neural structures. Nanomedicine 2012;8(4):427-433.
- Crisp KM, Mesce KA. Beyond the CPG: Amine modulation of decision-making neural networks in the brain of the medicinal leech. J Exp Biol 2006;209:1746-1756.
- Crisp KM, Mesce KA. A cephalic projection neuron involved in locomotion is dye coupled to the dopaminergic neural network in the medicinal leech. J Exp Biol. 2004;207(Pt 26):4535-42.
- Crisp KM, Mesce KA. To swim or not to swim: regional effects of serotonin, octopamine and amine mixtures in the medicinal leech. J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol. 2003;189(6):461-70.
- Crisp KM, Klukas KA, Gilchrist LS, Nartey AJ, Mesce KA. Distribution and development of dopamine- and octopamine-synthesizing neurons in the medicinal leech. J Comp Neurol. 2002;442:115-129.
- Mesce KA, Crisp KM, Gilchrist LS. Mixtures of octopamine and serotonin have nonadditive effects on the CNS of the medicinal leech. J Neurophysiol. 2001;85:2039-2046.